Friday, April 4, 2008

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool....Part II

There was such a passion in my heart to do this but my dear husband was not on board. I began researching and prepping my "case" to present to the "jury." I knew I would need to have all my information ready if this was to go well. I also prayed and prayed and prayed....and my friends prayed as well.

I told God He knew my heart and I believed He was speaking this to me but my husband was not budging, so for this to happen...if it was truly His will...He would have to help my husband change his mind. After many discussions that seemed to go nowhere I began to doubt. I finally asked my husband what his concern was with the whole thing. I feared he didn't trust my abilities.

He was concerned about how I would handle being home with them all day...mostly because they argue so much. He also wanted me to work to bring in extra income. I told him it would be hard being home with them 24/7 again but it was no reason to not follow my heart, my passion and most importantly, what I believed to be right for them. And as far as money goes, I believed the Lord would bless us for following His leading. He agreed to try it and here we are...eight months later counting the days until school ends! Just kidding...

I'm told the first year is the hardest because you don't know what to expect. It has been a learning experience. But is rewarding to be the teacher to my children...they'll only be here for a little while longer. I am so blessed to be able to stay home and educate my children the way I believe. I am thankful for the state we live in that doesn't put restrictions on how we do it. I appreciate others who've gone before us and share all their wisdom and experience.

By the way...if you homeschool or are thinking of homeschooling I believe the following book is a must-read: 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy. My friend Lanell told me about it. It's great! You should also read So, You're Thinking of Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel (yes, Blair from the Facts of Life).

That was longer than I intended it to be but I couldn't stop the words from flowing. Blessings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your decision to homeschool...NO ONE knows how your children learn better than you, their mother!! Don't let the naysayers bother you...I've heard it all and Jordan Marie is only 3 soon to be 4 and I am sooo tired of the argument...'well, she needs the socialization" so sorry but I don't want her to have the 'public school's socialization mentality of drugs, pre-marital sex, and evolution as truth!! KUDOS TO YOU!! check into abeka books for their science...it's the BEST!! That's what my mom used =) Tanya M.