Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Foiled Again

It has been several days since my last post. I had several things I was ruminating over to share but simply had no energy because I got a cold last week that still has not gone away. My dear husband picked up Zicam for me because a friend of mine swears by it. Then another friend told me Zicam had been sued because their product has caused anosmia (loss of smell and taste). You can read about it here. I immediately stopped using it because hey, I love food too much!! Although, if I couldn't taste or smell it, I may not be tempted to eat so much since it would bring me no pleasure....

The kids and I do school four days a week and use the other day to go to the library, on field trips, etc. Last Friday was the first one since the holidays that we did not have to be somewhere early in the morning. So, I decided to use it as a catch-up day for me. You may recall I'm working on organizing my "multipurpose" room. I planned to get up early and get busy, and let the kids have a free day. But when I woke up I could barely swallow or breathe. I spent much of the day in bed. Boo hoo!

Saturday wasn't much better until I started using the Zicam, though I gave that up the next day. Yesterday, I felt like a truck hit me and thank God the kids were relatively good so I could rest.
Needless to say, I've been chasing zinc with orange juice, and drinking hot tea at every opportunity. Plus I'm guzzling water by the buckets which sends me running to the little girls' room every five minutes!

Anybody have any safe homeopathic remedies for the common cold? I'd love to hear your ideas.

1 comment:

Kat said...

My nutritionist swears by black elderberry. It is an immune booster and shortens the duration of those nasty bugs. The CVS pharmacy by us carrys Sambucol which is the brand name for the product, you will find it with Airborne, coldeaze and those products. I love it and the kids love it because it tastes like blueberry syrup and I have noticed that I haven't been getting sick as much and my bugs don't last as long. Hope you feel better soon.