Thursday, April 3, 2008

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool....Part I

The last few weeks...no, make that months...have been crazy and our kids aren't even in any sports, dance, music classes right now...though they will be soon. The craziness is because this year we decided to homeschool both of our children. Before I reveal the present, let me take you back in time.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness....what...Oh, sorry. I was having an out of century experience.

Where was I...oh yes...My first attempt at homeschooling was when my sweet boy started kindergarten. After the newness wore off for him...about a month...he decided doing school at home was not fun. He proceeded to make life difficult for mommy. He had to be disciplined just to do school...and we're talking two hours maximum of school per day, really not a big deal. Try telling that to a five year old with VeggieTales to watch and Lego airplanes to build. So, it was off to public school he went. He loved it and truly looked adorable in his new backpack that was almost as big as he was!

Fast forward four years, after we moved from Indiana to Grapevine, Texas our sweet girl began to have severe anxiety about school in second grade. I quit my part-time job that I loved at Fish City Grill (my favorite seafood place in Southlake, TX) to homeschool her that year. We survived even after another move which brought us to Houston. I decided I wanted to continue to homeschool but her doctor was against it; my husband agreed with her, not me....yes, he's still alive.... ;)

So, both were back in school the following year and I was enjoying my freedom. But the desire never went away. Several of our friends and acquaintances homeschool and it seemed we had a built-in support system if we ever decided to do this.

to be continued....

No comments: