Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Perfectionist (read: Control Freak) Lets Go...Or Does She?

I have been beating myself up for weeks now because our homeschooling year has just not gone the way I want. Mind you, I didn't actually plan it out completely on paper. But in my head it looked good!

We started our school year the first week of September and it wasn't too bad really since we didn't have all our necessary curriculum. I focused on the three Rs--reading, 'riting, 'rithmetic. BTW, that has always annoyed me...saying it that way! I picture some back hills redneck yucking like Goofy. Got that stuck in your head now? Good!

Moving on...we received our long awaited curriculum the next week and boy, was I overwhelmed trying to figure it out. Two days later I was packing up myself, the kids, the cat and luggage into my '98 Honda Accord fleeing to DFW because of Hurricane Ike. We stayed there for a week then came home to no power and didn't get it back til September 26.

The cool weather didn't stick around long so we hung out at my in-laws doing laundry and staying cool. It's so hard to do school when visiting at grandma's. I enjoy my mother-in-law's company and needed to talk; the kids enjoy Grandma's TVs so they don't have to share remotes, plus we had a few breakfasts and lunches at McDonald's which was totally organic and fat free! Really!

Then I tried to get in a routine that never really got started. Every day I dealt with a groaning, sometimes screaming child: "I DON'T WANNA DO SCHOOL!" So I focused on the basics for her while trying to figure out our new curriculum...still. Meanwhile, I'm trying to fit this in to all my other Wifely/Motherly duties, run a home business, fit in football practices and games, find time for myself to stamp, watch House, check my Facebook page obsessively, etc. You know, the essentials.

I have been totally overwhelmed and not taking care of myself. And what happens when I don't take care of myself??!! Besides being quite moody and irritable?! My body says, Time to make you slow down because I need a break. How about a sore throat, severe sinus infection with a side of coughing? That happened a week and a half ago and I still have a cough...though I'm getting better everyday.

I think I had my epiphany today when I got a headache after trying for over an hour to find answers about maps at an online community for a particular curriculum I'm using. I wanted to scream and cry but couldn't. My dh called and rescued me from part of my misery by agreeing to pick up dinner. I love him!

So, I decided to not worry that we are a whole Unit behind in our curriculum and that I can't check off my list...the one in my head...as I'd like. We're going to focus on Bible/church history the next two days along with the basics and start a new Unit next week like we never skipped a beat. I am giving myself permission to not have it all done. It will be okay. Really. There are no curriculum police out there...they're all in my head.

I know what will make me feel better...I'll go watch some House and drink Starbucks.

No comments: