Monday, October 27, 2008

Manic Monday

The Bangles had it right, didn't they? I wish it was Sunday, that's usually my funday, but not lately. My Sundays are more like Mondays so they're not my funday either so...oh, nevermind! My brain's starting to hurt. Doesn't take much, I know.

Mondays have become my "crockpot" day...actually, come to think of it, so have Tuesdays, Wednesdays, okay, so almost everyday. With my son in football, practicing three days a week, getting dinner done by 4:30 can be challenging after a long day of homeschooling. I want my family to eat a relatively healthy meal every night so the crockpot has become my friend.

I recently discovered a great, easy, quick recipe (adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food). I have made this with slight variations for the last three weeks. My family doesn't appear to have noticed yet. And they actually rave about it every time. Tonight, my sweet girl told me they were better than a restaurant. (We love Mexican food and eat it out at least once a week so she is a true connoisseur.)

Shredded Chicken Tacos (or Enchiladas or Burritos or ....)

2 lbs. organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1/2 of an onion, chopped (any color as long as it's not moldy)
1 small can chiles, chopped
1 cup of your favorite salsa
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. cumin

Combine the onion, chiles and spices in a crockpot. Add the chicken; be sure to coat with the mixture. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. When done, shred the chicken. Then use in tacos or enchiladas.

For enchiladas, I use white corn tortillas. Fill with the chicken, top with a store-bought enchilada sauce, or more salsa, and shredded cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

I hope you enjoy it and find it to be a life saver on your "Manic" Mondays.

No comments: