Thursday, September 4, 2008

Donde esta el restaurante?

Home schooling is challenging and rewarding, and sometimes downright funny.

So, yesterday my daughter asks, "Why are we learning Latin?" She genuinely wanted to know, and I was pleasantly surprised to not hear it in a whiny why-do-we-have-to-do-this voice.

I answered, "It will help you as you learn other languages like Spanish, French, Italian..."

She says, "I told my friends I'm learning Spanish. I asked them if they knew Spanish. Then I asked them if they knew what Donde esta el restaurante? means and they said no. And then I said, 'See, I told you I know Spanish'."

As if asking one question in Spanish qualifies as knowing it. I pictured these little girls staring in awe at my little progeny and her beaming with pride.

We won't tell them that's probably all she remembers for now.

2 comments:

bonggamom said...

I learned Latin in high school and it has certainly helped my vocabulary! Thanks for visiting my site!

Anonymous said...

OMGosh, Melanie!! That was the best story - I can soooo see and hear her saying that.